2021-2029 Housing Element Update 6th Cycle
The Housing Element is a component of the City’s General Plan and includes analysis of the community’s housing needs, opportunities and constraints, as well as policies and programs to facilitate the construction, rehabilitation, and preservation of housing for all economic segments of the community. The City is required by State law to prepare an updated Housing Element for the 2021-2029 planning period.
It is anticipated that the Housing Element update will also include proposed amendments to the City’s General Plan and Zoning Code that are required by State law to provide additional capacity for housing development pursuant to the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA).
All interested persons are invited to participate in the meeting and submit oral or written comments.
Frequently Asked Questions - Colton 2021 Housing Element Update
PROGRAM 11 REZONING EFFORTS -
Two Community Meetings meetings recently held. One on October 24, 2023, with the Planning Commission and a second meeting held on November 7 at the Gonzales Center - Room 1.
Staff Report for the October 24, 2023, Planning Commission Meeting Here: Click Link
Take a Survey as related to the rezoning efforts and email back to Planning@coltonca.gov
The survey was designed to obtain feed back from the 42 plus properties proposed to be changed.
Copy of Survey - Click Here
Colton remains committed to addressing all statutory requirements of the State Housing Element Law and incorporating the communities voice into the City’s 6th Cycle Housing Element Update. All interested persons are invited to participate in this planning process. For any other questions or concerns, please reach out via email to Mario Suarez, Planning Manager at: email@example.com or Mark Tomich at firstname.lastname@example.org or by correspondence at the following address:
Mark Tomich, AICP Development Services Director, and
Mario Suarez, AICP, Planning Manager
City of Colton Development Services Department, Planning Division
659 North La Cadena Drive Colton, CA 92324
Download September 27, 2023 Copy: Adopted 2021-2029 Colton Housing Element - 6th Cycle - Updates and edits pertaining in response to comments from the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), dated May 5, 2023.
The following is a summary of the latest updates:
▪ Revised Program 2 to include outreach to the development community.
▪ Added to Program 7: Utilize available funding resources to assist 100 low- and moderate-income single-family homeowners during the 2021-2029 planning cycle.
▪ Added to Program 29: Increased staff level of administrative reviews by 10% by 2025 for new multifamily residential projects.
▪ Added review/revision of reasonable accommodations procedure to Program 33 for special needs populations.
▪ Added housing assistance to assist female-headed households and large households.
▪ Allow 100% residential in zones that currently allow non-residential uses: Zones that currently allow 100% non-residential uses include the R-O, MU-D, and MU zones. A total of 4,423 dwelling units will be allowed in these zones. ▪ Program 13 revised to add information and provided analysis about common ownership.
▪ Noted recent housing developments on non-vacant sites have been market rate; Updated Program 13 showing City’s efforts in encouraging affordable housing.
1. Community Meeting Scheduled - October 4, 2023 Public Notice (English and Spanish)
When: Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Where: San Salvador Catholic Church – 169 W. L Street, Colton, CA 92324
Time: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
2. 2nd Community Meeting Scheduled - October 10, 2023 Public Notice (English and Spanish)
When: Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Where: Colton Council Chambers – 650 N. La Cadena Drive , Colton, CA 92324
Time: 5:30 p.m.
PREVIOUS WORKSHOPS OR MEETING NOTICES
2021-2029 COLTON HOUSING ELEMENT - 6TH CYCLE - PUBLIC REVIEW SEPTEMBER 27, 2023 TO OCTOBER 10, 2023
PUBLIC NOTICE - The revised draft Housing Element is available for public comment from September 27, 2023 through October 10, 2023 SEE PUBLIC NOTICE FOR DETAILS
Download February 22, 2023 Copy: Adopted 2021-2029 Colton Housing Element - 6th Cycle - Updates and edits pertaining in response to comments from the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), dated March 18, 2022. SEE PUBLIC NOTICE FOR DETAILS
Redline Version - Colton Adopted Housing Element - 6th Cycle
Clean Version - Colton Adopted Housing Element - 6th Cycle
Next Step: The revised Draft Housing Element submitted to HCD for 60-day review on March 8, 2023.
Download January 4, 2022 Copy: Draft 2021 -2029 Colton Housing Element - 6th Cycle
Attachment 1 - HCD Comments Letter_10-04-2021
Attachment 2 - Responses to Oct. 4 HCD Comments
Attachment 3 - PC Reso No. R-33-21
Attachment 4 - Email_Debbie Hanna_S. Rancho Ave
Attachment 5 - Appendix 38 - Vacant Sites Inventory
Attachment 6 - Appendix 40 - Candidate Sites for Rezoning
Attachment 7 - City Council Resolution No. R-127-21
October 26, 2021 Planning Commission Meeting
- Staff Report with Attachments
- PowerPoint Presentation for 2021-2029 Housing Element Update
Download Copy: Draft 2021 -2029 Colton Housing Element - 6th Cycle