Established in 1887, Colton's Electric Utility is the oldest founded utility in San Bernardino County. The utility was created to provide quality, reliable service to residential and business customers within the city. To date the utility goals include providing responsive and reliable service, equitable rates, and superior customer service. Colton Electric Utility owns and operates its own power plant, five substations and the entire electrical infrastructure including the transmission and distribution lines within the city boundaries. The utility serves approximately 16,000 residential customers and 2,500 commercial and industrial customers, with a peak load of 90 Mega, or Million, Watts.